cakes

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Tuna Carrot Cookies (for dogs)

This recipe come from someone named Cheryl Clinton, a Rhodesian Ridgeback owner who makes these for her two dogs. I have never met her, but found this in Rhodesian Ridgebacks Rule!!! group.

TUNA CARROT COOKIES

BASE DOUGH 

in a very very large bowl combine:
3 pounds of shredded carrots 
4 cans of tuna
8 eggs
3-4 cups rice flour
1/2 cup oil….I use coconut oil, my boys LOVE coconut…most “healthy” oils are good

These ingredients are the base to which you can add a multitude of goodies, I add a different fruit or veggie each time….today I used cranberries. You can add approx 2 cups of any “dog friendly” fruit or veggie….frozen or fresh

To the base ingredients add
1-2 cups fruit ie blueberries or cranberries or shredded apple etc 
(in winter I use frozen fruit)
I have also added veggies instead of fruit ie peas, chopped broccoli, etc
sometimes I add shredded coconut or oatmeal etc just to shake it up for them

The dough gets very heavy like thick wallpaper paste so add as much flour as you need to get to that consistency….not too liquid……I actually never measure i just add until I get the right consistency

I line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper…..very important or the cookies are tough to remove from the sheets
Divide the dough into 2 then place each half on the baking sheets and spread/pat the dough evenly out to the edges (check photo)
bake at 350 for 1.5 - 2 hours or until they are firm to touch but not burnt

When done let sit for an hour then remove from sheets and cut into squares ( I do 1” squares …I use a pizza cutter) 
It yields 2 XL freezer bags full…..I then freeze them in the freezer bags….better frozen as it take them longer to chew them otherwise they gulp them down. These are my boys “special” treats…..they LOVE them…….and with one batch you should get a good months supply! 
It sounds like a lot of work but it really isn’t and making them once a month and know they are healthy treats is the best!! I would do anything for my boys 
good luck

No comments: