cakes

Monday, January 14, 2008

Grandma S. Banana Bread

This is always a hit, wherever it is served. Sugar had that kind of seduction and this is especially sweet.

1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I use butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
6 Tablespoons sour milk (can be made with a little vinegar added to regular milk)
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
3 ripe bananas, mashed
Chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add vanilla, eggs and sour milk. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Mix dry ingredients into moist ingredients. Add the bananas and nuts. Pour batter into bread pans which have been greased and floured.

1 comment:

SusanO said...

I am so happy I found your food blog. I used to make your grandma's banana bread recipe and it was delicious. Somehow, I lost the recipe and was never able to find one that was as simple and good.