cakes

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Norwegian Potato Dumplings, Potet klubb

From Notably Norwegian, page 31

1/2 pound salt pork
6 cups grated potatoes
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt

Cut salt pork into small cubes. Mix potatoes, flour and salt. Form this mixture into 3 to 4 inch oval balls, placing a piece of salt pork in the center.
Place in boiling water and cook gently for 1 1/2 hours.

"My family like the klubb cooked with a ham, or if we can find corned beef without garlic, that also makes a flavorful dish."

"My grandmother from Sigdal taught my mother this family favorite. Now I have taught my daughters-in-law. When we fix klubb, I use a restaurant size soup kettle and triple the recipe. The next day I slice the klubb and fry it in butter. My family always makes sure there is enough klubb left over for this follow-up."

*****************************************************************
Rita's notes: My Czech family also makes potato dumplings, but without the salt pork in the middle. Ours were also cooked for around 1/2 hour, or until they are swimming or floating in the water. Ours are served with pork roast or chops, kraut and the pan juices from the meat, loosened with water to make a watery gravy.

My family recipe: http://ritasrecipesblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/potato-dumplings.html

No comments: